Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pineapple propagation, store bought pineapple, Part 1

I have begun a pineapple area and have been adding to it as suckers and pups develop. Now I thought I would try a top from a store bought variety. This is marketed as a Guatemalan Gold or something like that. The leaves are smooth meaning no serrations, teeth, along them.  I cut off the top and trimmed any fruit material off. Let this top air dry for a couple of days. Then peel off several rows of base leaves. Place stripped end into some loose potting material and water-in.  Place in shady well ventilated area and keep moist. Weeks later the center leaves wilted and I removed them, new leaves followed from the center, now it's growing.  This was started in January.


Striped leaves

















Potted in loose mix
New leaves in center.




No comments:

Post a Comment